Frequently a blocked sewer drain comes as a surprise. A common question asked of our plumbers is how do you know a drain is blocked?
To begin with, if your toilet is backing up and not draining, or your overflow relief gully is spewing out sewerage outside then, you need a blocked drains Gold Coast specialist plumber now. I guarantee DIY remedies such as baking soda and vinegar will not clear your blocked drain.
Unfortunately, not all blockages are immediately apparent. Let me assure you it is not normal to be experiencing gurgling in your drains or slow to drain toilets.
The reality is few blockages are a sudden occurrence. Usually, a blocked drain happens gradually so below we will list out common reasons to the question how do you know a drain is blocked.
How do you know a drain is blocked early warning signs
Early warning signs of an impending blocked drain are easily overlooked but below are the most common to look out for:
- foul odours in your bathroom or toilet that never go away
- gurgling noises from your toilet or floor wastes when no-one is using them
- the toilet when flushed filling up the bowl then slowly draining away
- the overflow relief gully (ORG) intermittently overflowing then slowly draining away
- the water seal in your toilet completely being sucked away
What are the causes of a blocked drain?
The most common causes that we have seen recently why a drain becomes blocked is tree roots or buildups of flushable wipes. These, in turn, are commonly caused by:
- broken sewer house drains that allow roots to infiltrate
- poorly installed drains that have an incorrect fall that will enable buildups in the drain as they cannot flow away
- low water flows in flat drains that allow accumulations of solids flushed into the sewer
- objects flushed down the toilet such as flushable wipes, sanitary products or toys that do not break up in the water
Clearing your blocked drain
If you are experiencing any of the symptoms described above the answer to how do you know a drain is blocked is simple you need to call us on (07) 5580 4311 before you have no functional sewer house drain.