“Plumbing protects the whole community, and individually plumbers protect the health of the nation.” Whywait Plumbing Services has always promoted the importance of excellent plumbing practises combined with sustainable plumbing practises. Whywait Plumbing was the first GreenPlumber in Queensland and remains the only fully licensed GreenPlumber on the Gold Coast.
At the 2011 National Plumbers Regulators Forum, Dr Barry Gilbert a Specialist in Public Health spoke on the costs of poor plumbing confirming that plumbing is public health. Issues highlighted by Dr Gilbert were at the heart of future plumbing practice and were:
- The complex global issues of scarce potable water, the use of recycled water, global warming, climate change, together with the influence that man has on the environment all determine risk to the population. In the future plumbing will have an even more important role in mitigating those risks.
- Plumbing is actually a major part of the public health solution and always has been.
- Plumbing is at risk of being a victim of its own past success, since the population at large do not appreciate the vital role that plumbing plays in everyday community health.
- Just as vaccination protects individuals and the community, plumbing protects the whole community, and individually plumbers protect the health of the nation.
- Plumbers have an obligation to impart the knowledge and experience to the community and to demonstrate clearly the potential impact of that poor plumbing will have in the future.
- Plumbing is public health, now and in the future.